Volunteer Lead Tenant
Volunteer Live-in Lead Tenants
Berry Street’s Northern Lead Tenant program is in the process of recruiting volunteer mentors ‘Lead Tenants’, for a live-in role that supports young people in Out of Home Care to build on their exposure to environments and experiences that more closely reflect the wider community and in doing so preparing them for Leaving Care. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual or couple looking for a rewarding experience, to give back to the community, gain experience and follow their passion of working with young people.
Positions are available in the Northern region and the Lead Tenant(s) would live rent and utilities free.
The Lead Tenant program offers young people the opportunity to live in a shared environment with a Lead Tenant(s) who provides role modelling of independent living concepts. Each young person is also supported by a Berry Street Case Manager who provides support to both the young person and the Lead Tenants(s) with day to day support. The Lead Tenant(s) and the Case Manager introduces opportunities to the young person to further develop skills such as appropriately maintaining a shared household, learning to plan and prepare meals, budgeting for living expenses, prioritising health and safety, accessing independent travel options and engaging/maintaining education and/or employment.
The program is looking for people who believe that young people deserve every opportunity to develop to their full potential, who model effective communication, are committed to supporting young people and work in collaboration to the Berry Street values and philosophy. Lead Tenants are provided with training, support, access to after-hours support and supervision.
Responsibility of the Live-in Lead Tenant:
- Manage the day to day running of the household
- Act as a positive role model to provide support and guidance to young people
- Foster mutually supportive relationships between themselves and the young people in the household as well as with the Berry Street case manager
- Demonstrate and educate young people to learn basic housekeeping, cooking, nutrition and budget management
- Actively participate in meetings, discussions and planning to address the needs of the young people
- Invest time and emotional energy to develop a relationship with a young person
- Communicate effectively in a range of settings, including resolving minor disputes
- Undertake training to further build their capacity to effectively support young people
- Provide feedback and updates to case managers
- Assist in the development and implementation of a plan to address the young person’s immediate, short and long term needs.
Berry Street responsibilities towards Live-in Lead Tenant:
- Access to 24 hour crisis support
- On-going support and training
- Supervision and professional development opportunities
- Provision of free accommodation and utilities
- Safe and secure accommodation
- Case management
- Duty of care
Applications to be submitted as soon as possible as they will be reviewed as they are received
For further information please contact Sarah Bartlett, Team Leader - Specialised Care and Home Based Care on (03) 9450 4700 or firstname.lastname@example.org